At outerspace we love to have talented and motivated people with a passion for product development on our team.
We welcome the contributions of awe inspiring, creative and technically brilliant people. As a design-led product development group we value fresh perspectives and team players.
We’re a diverse and clever team of 30+ with a passion for product development and team collaboration. outerspace is a happy place where we excel together and produce world class products for our amazing clients. We support diversity, equity and inclusion and are endorsed by the Work180 program.
Teamwork is central to the way we work at outerspace. We support each other as we share our expertise and knowledge. At outerspace we support our team members to grow and develop their career pathways. We encourage everyone to continue learning, stay curious and thirsty for knowledge.
outerspace has offices in Melbourne, Australia and San Diego, California
Our working spaces are open plan with dedicated meeting rooms, quiet zones for deep thinking, relaxed lounge areas to meet and share ideas and leafy outdoor areas to refresh and clear the mind. We have workshops packed full of hand tools, machines and equipment for hands-on making and experimentation. We have spaces for model making, prototyping and 3D printing. Our electronics laboratory is fully equipped with prototyping and testing equipment.
We enjoy keeping fit or sharing a meal together. We celebrate birthdays and other milestones. We visit galleries, festivals and events together. We share our travel experiences. We donate and support charities. We care for the environment and encourage sustainable ways of working.
join our team
We’re always on the lookout for people with impressive engineering talent, designers with creative brilliance and experienced networkers in product development across all industries.
senior mechanical engineer / project manager
Apply your multidisciplinary project management and mechanical design skills to bring new products to life from concept through to production. This role suits someone who loves to get into the details and make things work, while driving project outcomes. You will be the project owner and lead mechanical engineer on key multidisciplinary projects.
ideal experience and attributes include
- experience in the design of mechanical products, components and systems in a regulated industry
- proven/demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary projects
- design and engineering calculations reviews
- design for manufacturing experience across a range of processes including injection moulding, die casting and sheet metal processes
- experience in incorporating electronic assemblies with understanding of electronics layouts and specification of electro-mechanical components
- 8 years plus experience
- workshop skills/prototyping and CAD skills (ideally Solidworks)
- a can do – proactive, curious attitude
- degree in mechanical engineering
business development manager
Utilise your relationship building and business skills to work with new and existing clients to bring new products to life from concept through to production. This role suits someone who loves commercialisation of products and working with a dynamic team.
ideal experience and attributes include
- bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
- previous experience in product development or product management positions in a product based business
- 10 plus years experience in a business development or client relationship based role
- relationship and customer focused
- ability to work closely with clients and the development team, guiding outcomes and managing expectations
- ability to present and deal with boards, executive and project execution teams
- excellent written and verbal communication
- experience with financing including grants and capital raising
- understanding of the broader innovation network including accelerators and incubators
- understanding of professional services businesses
- experience with medical device development and exposure to ISO 13485 systems would be seen as an advantage
position objectives and responsibilities
- responsible for brand awareness and growing business in the product development market
- new business development, including networking and partner relationships
- budgeting, planning and market segment profit accountability
- drive and implement marketing plans
- work closely with clients and the development team, assisting strategic product planning, guiding outcomes and managing expectations
product development specialist
Join our growing network of experienced product designers and engineers. If you thrive in a fast-moving, collaborative environment, we’d love to hear from you.